Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Celebrating Pioneer Day with a 10K

I ran the Deseret 10K on Pioneer Day in downtown Salt Lake City this year. There were A LOT of runners, and even though I shaved 3 minutes off my last 10K time, I actually finished further down in my division, but I'm totally fine with that. For me, it's all about improving my PR (Personal Record) and finishing 6.4 miles in under an hour makes me all smiles!!! Plus, my husband surprised me and got a hotel room at the Little America downtown the night before the race. That meant only a 4 am wake up time instead of a 3 am wake up time! So, we got to spend the evening before eating pasta and swimming in the hotel pool. Lots of fun!!!

The actual run was pretty hot and muggy, and I was really struggling that last half mile, but that's when I saw my family cheering me on. It felt so amazing to see them there. I still can't believe they dragged their kids out of bed at 5 in the morning, drove all the way downtown, and sat in the hot sun (and rain) to watch me run by for 30 seconds. I have the best family in the whole world. I love them sooooo much!!!  




This was my last race before I run my first half marathon in a couple weeks. And even though I doubt I'll finish with my usual 10 minute mile, I'm hopeful I'll finish in a respectable time! Well... actually... I forgot about my stupid hip. Grrrrr! I did something weird to my hip doing belly dancing a couple days ago, and even after taking a few days off, it hurt really bad on my run this morning. I have to try to figure out to get it healed up before next Saturday or else I'll be walking my first marathon... :(   

No comments:

Post a Comment