Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Running a Half-Marathon - Check!!!

I did it!!! I finished my very first half-marathon. And, Wow! What an experience it was! Honestly, it was miserable. Absolutely miserable. The race was described as being "a fun and fast course" and I totally call BS on that one! It was uphill almost the entire time. It wasn't really steep, it was just a constant upgrade. It was tough. Really tough. In fact when I ran across the finish line everything was pretty much a blur. I remember seeing my family there, but all I could think about was that I couldn't stop walking. I honestly felt if I stopped I would have dropped right there and wouldn't have been able to get back up. I was nauseated and exhausted beyond all description. So much so I didn't even get any pictures which makes me sad now, but at the time I didn't care. I was just thankful to be alive!

Even though the course was tough, I still finished with a 10.24 minute mile, and I ran the entire thing!!! The last three miles were brutal, and a lot of runners just gave up (I've never seen DFNs in any of my races before), but I kept on running and every runner I passed gave me a little boost of energy. Can I say it was fun??? Mmmm.... not really, but I can say now that I'm glad I did it. It really was worth all the months of training, the 5 AM runs, the injuries, the ice baths, the limping, the shear PAIN!!! Do I want to run another one? Absolutely! And here are my reasons why...

Why Run a Half-Marathon???

1. You get to become part of something larger than yourself. You become a member of the "Marathon" family.
2. You get to be a part of something that is inspiring and challenging. You push your body beyond its physical and mental limits and finish in spite of that fact.
3. You get to blow past people on the course who didn't train as hard or as long as you.
3. You get a cool medal and tech shirt to show off to friends and family proving that you did it.
4. It forces you to get off your butt and get outside and run!
5. You get to know your neighborhood really, really, really well.
6. You set a good example for your children (and husband) about the importance of being active and healthy.
7. It's a goal you can set for yourself and actually accomplish. It makes me proud of me!!!
8. You get toned, sexy legs!
9. You get to see a lot of sunrises.
10. I want to do it because I CAN do it! I spent years and years abusing and taking my body for granted, and it feels fantastic to be able use my body in a way that it was designed to be used!

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! Just downright amazing, my dear!

    ReplyDelete